Aptitude assessments are a structured way of assessing an individual’s ability to perform certain tasks. Aptitude assessments assess an individual’s fluid intelligence, combined with the ability to apply reasoning, logic, and the ability to work with information. Aptitude assessments also predict how quickly an individual is likely to learn novel skills and abilities within their environment. Aptitude tests include but are not limited to;
- Verbal reasoning– the ability to reason and draw conclusions from the information provided.
- Perceptual speed– the ability to identify relevant and irrelevant information and check for errors.
- Word meaning– the ability to understand written or spoken instructions.
- Numerical reasoning– the ability to reason and draw conclusions using numerical concepts.
- Spatial visualisation – the ability to work with shapes and visual concepts.
Ability or aptitude tests are consistently shown to be the best predictors of workplace effectiveness. Using the right ability tests as part of a recruitment process can bring a significant return on investment by helping to ensure the right person is chosen for the role.